How to submit fingerprints: detailed instructions for out-of-state or overseas TBAE registrantsNote: You must create a TBAE online account (including payment) 72 hours prior to proceeding, if you do not already have one.
This section applies to:
Special notes for out-of-state registrants:
- You can fulfill this requirement from your local area. There is no need to travel to Texas or anywhere else.
- You will have a choice of several places at which to do your fingerprints (read below for more). Most often, a local police station or sheriff’s office will be your best option.
- A brief survey of fingerprinting locations across the United States indicates that often there is a small additional charge for the service. Some service providers require scheduling an appointment, and some only provide fingerprint services on certain days of the week. We recommend some research into your local options before you accidentally waste some time and effort.
- Fingerprints will be recorded on a "fingerprint card," and you will send the completed card to the fingerprinting vendor, Identogo, at the address below. Please consider using registered or certified mail, or a delivery service, to send the documentation. In some cases, the tracking information and other documentation may prove helpful, so consider keeping that information handy. This is a suggestion only, not a requirement. Please do NOT send the fingerprint card to TBAE.
- In broad strokes, as you will see below, the process has three major steps: (1) getting registered in the Identogo system, (2) having a service provider roll your fingerprints onto a card, and (3) mailing your completed fingerprint card to the vendor. Start to finish, the process can take some time, so don’t wait until the last minute.
The process, step by step:
- Get started early; time to completion varies, but very often it can take weeks to complete. TBAE recommends starting a few weeks in advance of your intended renewal or initial registration date. Once you have registered in the vendor’s online system, you will have a choice of places near you at which you can do the actual fingerprinting on an official fingerprint card. (You will mail the card to Identogo at the end of this process—see below.) Since some fingerprint service providers only do fingerprints on certain days, and some require scheduling an appointment ahead of time, be sure to budget more than enough time to make it happen.
- Have the following information handy, because the fingerprinting vendor may ask you for it during the fingerprint registration process:
b. Date of birth
g. Eye color
h. Hair color
i. Place of birth
j. Home address
- Visit the State’s fingerprinting vendor online at https://uenroll.identogo.com/servicecode/11G5YT (Or you can call toll free at 888-467-2080 and the live operator will walk you through the process. If you contact the vendor via phone, you will use "Service Code" 11G5YT.)
- Click Submit a Fingerprint Card by Mail. NOTE: When you click this link, a pop-up message will appear. The message will ask you confirm that submitting fingerprints on a card is correct. We confirm for you that it is correct to submit fingerprints on a card. Please ignore the pop-up message and continue.
- Follow the instructions on the next pages regarding your personal information, contact information, payment preferences, etc.
- At this point, you will choose where (in your local area) you would prefer to have your fingerprints rolled onto an FBI fingerprint form.
(You will mail the card to the vendor later; see below.) You have several options to choose from in selecting where to get
printed. A Google search like "[Your City Name] fingerprinting" likely will help. Popular choices include:
- Your local police station or sheriff’s office
- Local biometrics or fingerprinting service providers (even a Identogo office in your home town, if there is one)
- Notaries public (in some cases)
- United States embassies (if you are overseas)
- Make a copy of your documents, for your own records. (Recommended, not required.)
- Send your completed FBI fingerprint card to:
- After a week, log on to your account. If you still get an error message when trying to renew or receive an initial license, the vendor may still be processing your fingerprints and sending your information back to TBAE for verification. You can call Identogo at 888-467-2080 to check.