How to Apply FAQs


How do I learn more about the Architect Registration Examination (ARE)?

The ARE is administered through the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB). Examination candidates must apply first through the Texas Board of Architectural Examiners in order to be registered in Texas. Learn more in the Architect section.

Can anyone take the registered interior designer examination?

The Council for Interior Design Qualifications (“CIDQ”) administers the examinations for becoming a registered interior designer. Candidates seeking to become registered interior designers must apply through the TBAE in order to become registered. A person seeking to sit for the NCIDQ examination for reasons other than registration in Texas may do so, and need not apply to TBAE in order to do so. To learn more, see the Registered Interior Designer section.

Do I have to apply to TBAE first before I can register for the LARE?

The Landscape Architect Registration Exam is administered by CLARB. You must apply through TBAE before taking any sections of the LARE; Link to the Landscape Architect section of this site to learn more.


The mission of the Texas Board of Architectural Examiners (TBAE) is to serve the State of Texas by protecting and preserving the health, safety, and welfare of the Texans who live, work, and play in the built environment through the regulation of the practice of architecture, landscape architecture, and interior design.

Download Abode Reader
P.O. Box 12337 - Austin, TX 78711 | Telephone (512) 305-9000 | Fax (512) 305-8900
Copyright © 2005-2021, Texas Board of Architectural Examiners